Going back to school

This semester, I am participating as a student in the University of Arkansas course developed for faculty who are designing online courses. I will be working on the Principles of Microeconomics course until January 9, when I will be delivering the course I am learning to design and build.  As I go back to school to learn how to teach online, I’ll be capturing some of my experience through this blog.

Some notes from the online faculty orientation:

• The idea of a quality course was introduced first, before any other topics!
  • The quality of the course comes from the level of commitment by the faculty and the intentional effort of building a well-structured course where the objectives, goals, and expectations are clear for all participants.
  • The emphasis on accessibility of my course was introduced about 18 minutes into the presentation.
  • The key is knowing that everything has to follow a well-thought structure, one that can be clearly portrayed to the student so that he or she can navigate the content in a seamless way.

When I look back on my notes, it becomes clear to me that these steps are not unique to online learning–this is just about good teaching!

What are your thoughts?

2 Comments

1. Kay Murphy says:

Hello, Shay. Thank you for visiting the Online Trends blog. We tweaked the RSS feed; you should have no problems now.

2. Shay says:

Oh my goodness! Impressive article, dude! Thank you. However, I am encountering difficulties with your RSS.

I don’t know the reason why I cannot subscribe to it. Is there anyone else having identical RSS issues? Anyone who knows the solution can you kindly respond? Thanx!!